Difference Between BBA and B. Com?
Right after your 12th, you will face these two undergrad courses as a choice. BBA stands for Bachelor of Business Administration and B. Com stands for Bachelor of Commerce. Both the courses are highly sought-after owing to their career prospects and higher education opportunities they both bring. However, there are some telling differences in the courses that you should know about. These differences will help you choose the course that is best suited to you.
What is BBA All About?
The Bachelor of Business Administration is the degree for students who want to get into the management side in the industry. BBA is 3 years long and lays a good strong foundation course for the industry. You get to learn about all the aspects of business and how to manage and grow them. There’s a lot of practical work in the course that will develop a student’s entrepreneurial skills.
Related Blog: A Guide to BBA Course: Eligibility, Admission, Fees, Scope, Career, Subjects & More
What is B. Com All About?
The Bachelor of Commerce degree is a 3-year degree course aimed at providing strong fundamental education in the commerce industry. It is one of the most popular degree courses in the country and is offered by almost all universities. Students also have the option to do B. Com (Hons). This degree will make students eligible for various finance, accounts, and clerical jobs in most industries. It is also a great stepping stone for higher education like MBA, PGDM, CS, and CA.
Related Blog: A Guide to B. Com Course: Eligibility, Career, Fees, Benefits and More
BBA Vs B. Com Course Highlights
The highlights make for a quick and easy comparison of both the courses. It will also help you spot a few similarities and differences in the course. However, a more detailed comparison between BBA and B. Com is given below.
||Bachelor of Business Administration
||Bachelor of Commerce
|| 3 Years
|| 3 Years
||INR 50,000 to INR 2.5 lakhs
||INR 10,000 to INR 50,000
||12th Pass in any stream
|| 12th pass in commerce
||Merit-based, Direct, or Entrance Exam
||Merit-based or Direct
|Average Starting Salary
||INR 4 lakhs to INR 8 lakhs
||INR 2 lakhs to INR 10 lakhs
BBA Vs B. Com Comparison Based on Different Aspects
Given below is a detailed comparison between BBA and B. Com. The comparison is done based on various parameters. It will help students understand both the courses and select the one best suited to them.
Here is the comparison between BBA and B. Com degree based on the different parameters:
1. BBA Vs B. Com: Specializations
Both courses have multiple specializations. These specializations decide the career path students follow after graduation and what they study for post graduation. Here are the specializations.
- Banking & Insurance
- Human Resources Management
- Information & Technology
- Communications & Media Management
- Hospitality & Hotel Management
- Sports Management
- Hospital & Healthcare Management
B. Com Specializations
- Accounts & Finance
- Investment Management
- Human Resources
- Information Management
- Financial Market
- Banking & Insurance
Some universities and colleges may provide additional specialisations. But the ones stated above are the most popular.
2. BBA Vs B. Com: Course Curriculum
A comparison between the course curriculum will give a clear about the courses. The BBA course is considered to be more professional with more importance on practical learning, while the B. Com course is more academic with more importance on theory. Here’s a look at the courses general curriculum followed by most colleges and universities.
- Business Data Processing
- Business Mathematics and Statistics
- Principles of Management
- Operations Research
- Business Economics
- Production and Materials Management
- Financial and Management Accounting
- Marketing Management
- Personnel Management and Industrial Relations
- Business Laws
B. Com Subjects
- Company Law
- Business and Industrial Laws
- Computer Applications in Business
- Business Mathematics and Statistics
- Accountancy (Financial and Cost Accountancy)
- Business Organization & Management
- Business Environment
- Financial Management
- Human Resource Management
- International Trade
- Marketing Management
3. BBA Vs B. Com: Career Scope
Why does one get an education? To make a good career and both the courses have excellent career scope. The following is a comparison of the career scope offered by BBA and B. Com.
BBA leads to managerial and administrative careers in most industries. Though you may not instantly start in such positions, you will quickly move to these careers faster than other professionals.
Most industries run on the hard work of B. Com graduates, showcasing the fact that you can make excellent careers. Plus, if you take on more courses and certifications, more career opportunities will open up for you.
4. BBA Vs B. Com: Range for Salary
It’s important to know the salary range for the careers in BBA and B. Com as salary can be the biggest motivating and differentiating factor. The following figures are broken down into 3 categories, which will give you an even better idea.
- Entry-Level – INR 4 lakhs
- Mid-Level – INR 6 lakhs
- Top-Level – INR 10 lakhs
- Entry-Level – INR 2 lakhs
- Mid-Level – INR 5 lakhs
- Top-Level – INR lakhs
Note: *Please note the figures have been rounded off for easier understanding, and are subject to market conditions.
5. BBA Vs B. Com: Technical Skill Set
To do well in the course and career, students need to have a few technical skills that will help them. The following is a comparison of the technical skills required for BBA and B. Com.
BBA Technical Skill Set
- Computer Skills – The BBA degree requires you to be tech-savvy. During the course, there will be many things you will be doing on the computer. Most BBA jobs are also technologically advanced, so you need to have computer skills.
- Analytical Skills – The BBA course requires you to do a lot of analysis as a part of the education. You will also be learning modern analytical software which has now become a strong feature of most manager jobs.
- Presentations Skills – Making presentations is an integral part of the BBA degree course, and all the careers related to it. Presentations are an effective and important part of visual communication that’s popular in the industry.
- Accounting Skills – In the BBA degree, you are taught all aspects involved in doing business, and accounting is an important part. You need to be naturally good with numbers to excel.
- Digital Marketing Skills – Digital marketing is the future of marketing. You need to know all the various aspects involved like SEO, SMM, SEM, Adwords, etc. as digital marketing is going to be an integral part of most managerial positions.
B. Com Technical Skills
- Computer Skills – All modern education is now computer-based, including the B. Com. degree course. You need to be proficient in using computers and various software that will aid you in your education.
- Accounting Skills – Accounting is one of the most important parts of B. Com. Many even go on to make careers in accounting. So, you need to be good with numbers to do well in your course and career.
- Taxation Skills – Tax is another important subject in B. Com. You need to have a good understanding of the tax system in the country, its rules and regulations, and its applications. Good tax skills will open many career options.
- Analytical Skills – Analysing numbers, rules, and regulations and using analytical software are an important part of the course and careers, so you need to have a knack for conducting an analysis.
- Research Skills – B. Com is a theoretical subject that involves a lot of research. You need to have good researching skills to do well in the course.
6. BBA Vs B. Com: Personal Skill Set
Personal skills play an important part in most careers. From doing well in the job and course to getting opportunities to move ahead, personal skills will take you far. The following is the comparison of the personal skills required for BBA and B. Com.
BBA Personal Skills
- Communication Skills – Communication skills are probably the most important skill to have. If you are a good communicator, you will do well in all aspects of life. Good communication is the fuel for other skills.
- Teamwork Skills – The modern BBA course requires you to work with a team as you will be doing this in your job as well. You will be working in teams and to get the work done and excel, you need to have good teamwork skills.
- Leadership Skills – The BBA degree course leads to managerial and administrative positions, so you need to be a good leader. Leading teams, departments, and projects will be an important part of your career.
- Public Speaking Skills – Giving presentations, speeches, meeting with new people, for all these things, you will need to have good public speaking skills. Good public speakers do well in their careers.
- Sales Skills – BBA students need to be able to sell products and services and even their skills and talent. So, sales skills are quite important.
B. Com Personal Skills
- Teamwork Skills – B. Com students have to work in teams. Even when you are working professionally, you will be working in large departments. So, teamwork skills are important to work and excel.
- Time Management Skills – Finishing work on time, meeting people on fixed appointments, fishing projects on time, etc. time management skills will take you far in your education and career.
- Critical Thinking Skills – B. Com is an academic subject. You have to learn and understand a lot of theory. Critical thinking will help you excel in theory. It will also help research and analyse well in your education and career.
- Problem-solving Skills – During your B. Com course, you will be expected to solve industry-related problems that will prepare you for your career. In your profession too, your problem-solving skills will take you far.
- Communications Skills – Communications skills are not just useful for education and career, they are useful for life. So, you have to learn to be a good communicator and you will do well in all aspects of life.
7. BBA Vs B. Com: Scope of Job
It’s important to know if your degree is going to get you a job or not. This way, you can decide to start your career or pursue further education. Job scope will also help you understand the industries that become available to you. Check out the following comparison.
The BBA degree is one of the best degrees to get a job. Owing to the practical education, right after your graduation, you become an employable professional. The BBA degree gives you the luxury of choosing a specialisation and mankind a strong career in that particular industry.
There’s a misconception that B. Com won’t get you many jobs. The truth is that B. Com graduates are the ones running most offices and businesses. So, right after the course, you will get many job offers. You will also have the luxury of working in any industry you want as the fundamentals of the B. Com are applicable everywhere.
BBA Vs B. Com: Career Opportunities
Both degrees have excellent career opportunities as they are career-oriented courses. However, the job profiles are different owing to the difference in education. Here’s the career scope for BBA and B. Com.
- Financial Manager
- Loan Officer
- Internal Auditor
- Tax Assistant
- Facility Manager
- Strategy & Business Operations Manager
- Sales Operation
- Marketing Executive
- Sales Manager
- Market Analysts
B. Com Careers
- Company Secretary
- Finance Officer
- Business Analyst
- Junior Analyst
- Sales Analyst
- Stock Broker
- Tax Accountant
- Business Development Trainee
B. Com Vs BBA – Which is a Better Option After Class 12?
Now comes the real question that most students want to be answered – which is the better option after class 12? Both courses have some similarities and differences. But only a close look at them can reveal the true advantage of both courses. Though it would be unfair to say one is better than the other, the right conclusion would be each course is suited to different students with different needs.
The following points will help you decide which course is for you B. Com or BBA:
- Managerial Careers – The BBA degree is for managerial careers. With this degree, you will get into positions of power rather quickly. However, a B. Com degree can also do that but you will have to take a few additional courses and certifications.
- Higher Education – With a B. Com degree, you have many options to do further studies. You can do an MBA, PGDM, MMS, CA, CS, and ICWA. Whereas, with a BBA degree, you can mostly do management-related higher education like MBA, PGDM, and MMS.
- Course Fees – The course fees for BBA is much higher than the B. Com degree. However, when it comes to value for money, both the degrees provide good value for the time and money invested.
- Universities – Both courses are offered by the best universities in the country. However, the B. Com degree course is a lot more easily available. It is important to do both the courses from the right college, so you get an excellent education and career opportunities.
- Salary Figures – The BBA degree holder will get a better starting salary than the B. Com degree holder. However, with time and experience, the B. Com holder will also grow to a good salary figure. Salary figures are also dependant on the company you work for
Only the Best Courses at CSIT
As mentioned before, it matters a lot from where you do your degree course. ASM’s College of Science and Information Technology located in Pune provides the best BBA and B. Com degree courses affiliated with the University of Pune. These degrees will put you on the fast-track to having excellent careers.
Get in touch with the college’s counsellors to get more information on the BBA and B. Com courses. But hurry as the courses are popular and get full fast.